As I have previously blogged, Clint and I have been contemplating where we will move in the fall, as I go back to school. We had been leaning towards KU, but last week I received another scholarship from BU, the Religion and Conflict Transformation Scholar Award... "in recognition of your academic achievements and your interest and promise for work in religious peace-building and the ministry of reconciliation." (cool, huh!?) So that threw another wrench in the works, and after we have talked to the decision to death, with each other and anyone else who will listen, we still had very little clarity on the matter.
Sunday night, as I was following asleep, I prayed a prayer I have been consistently praying for months "Lord, make our decision a clear one." After months of weighing the pros and cons of BostonU and KU, the Lord answered our prayers Monday afternoon, with a simple email, subject: 'GTA Offer'. I was offered a Graduate Teaching Assistantship at KU's Department of Religious Studies (my alma mater). This is the best funding a graduate student can get at KU, it covers all my tuition and provides a living stipend. I'm really honored that the department chose me, and proud that all my hard work in undergrad at KU has paid off. I'm hoping that apart from the financial help, this position will give me opportunities and advantages as I consider PhD programs. (Another bonus? Since we'll be more financially stable going into the next year, we're planning to take a nicer honeymoon over our 1st anniversary. yayz!)
So, enough about me, let's talk about my better half. Clint has been working internships and FT jobs in his field since we were sophomores in college. I was flabbergasted when he went out looking for a hardcore job during undergrad, since everyone I knew was working easy jobs, sometimes only in summer, and giving the 'real' job search little thought. Well his patience and hard work is paying off awesomely right now. In a month, he'll be going out on his own (Clint Kucera, LLC), and it's safe to say business will be booming. I'm so proud and glad that he gets to be more flexible and still do what he loves. Things are definitely blissful at the Kucera home right now.
(Taken in front of Moses, and Smith Hall, the Religious Studies building, at KU)

I was talking to Janma this afternoon, and she told me I should catch up with you on Facebook — she wouldnt tell me herself! Heh.
ReplyDeleteThis is super awesome, and I'm very happy for the two of you, and I look forward to hearing about your experiences in this job.
Hopefully I can catch up with you guys over the Fourth, if I can make it out there as planned.
Take care. Love you guys!
-Gina